Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Star Dust

We sat in the kitchen in early February
with the door open to an unusually warm day and
 welcomed the outdoor noises in.

You replaced switch plates and I read in the paper.
We talked about your daughter and about our family.
We talked about the newly laid tiles.
And then I came across a letter
 in the Parade magazine that asked

If many stars are so far away from earth
 that their light takes millions of years to reach us,
how do we know they  exist?
Marilyn responded,
We don’t.
When we look at the stars
 we are viewing the past.

This struck me
and I felt melodic and chromatic.
Like we, you and I, were floating in a soap bubble,
spinning through space and time.
That this moment we were having in the kitchen
 had been played out before
 and would be played out again.
I felt the utter beauty and
substance to this moment that I
rarely pay attention to
and I said to you,
Well what if all of this is
 really in the past and
you and I don’t even exist anymore,
and this moment right now is not real?
And you said somewhere in this vast universe
we are in the past.
That by the time that part of the universe
saw or heard this conversation
we would be gone.
And I said that as fast

As the speed of light is,
 it is still too slow.
But what I really meant to say
was that all of this
is spinning too quickly.
Please let me hold this
moment against my breast. 
Let me wrap my arms around it and
let me press my lips to its ear
And whisper.
Stay.

1 comment:

  1. this is so, so beautiful.

    I especially am struck by your use of "melodic and chromatic"
    and "floating in a soap bubble, spinning through space and time."

    ReplyDelete