Wednesday, February 16, 2011

A Few of My Favorite Foods

Since December I have been focusing on eating healthier and more balanced meals.  Some days the amount of chocolate I consume versus vegetables is not balanced, but some days just call for more chocolate than others. 

Two of my favorite and go-to again and again foods are Flat Bread and Plain Greek Yogurt.  These are such simple items, but the combinations for how I can and do use these are endless.  I use the flat bread for wraps, pizza, burritos, enchiladas and bread crumbs.  My favorite use for flat bread though has got to be pizza.  It is so quick to grab the flat bread and just about anything you have in the refrigerator and "POOF" you have a delicious, healthy and quick meal.  Today I had veggie pizza with an olive oil base, fresh mushroom and red pepper slices, fresh cilantro leaves, feta cheese, and topped with a little shredded mozzarella and dried oregano.  The feta cheese gives it a nice bite. 

Pre Oven
Post Oven (see how it fills the plate-a hearty meal)
My husband's favorite pizza is our take on Buffalo Chicken.

Buffalo Chicken Pizza
1 piece of flat bread
1 tablespoon of Olive Oil (you can use more if you like)
1/4 Cup Cooked and Shredded Chicken (I use roasted or rotisserie chicken)
3 Large Fresh Sliced Mushrooms
About 10 leaves of fresh Cilantro chopped or whole
1/2 teaspoon of Dried Oregano
Buffalo Wing Sauce Drizzled (approximately 1 tablespoon/we use Texas Pete)
2 tablespoons Feta Cheese
1/4 cup Mozzarella Cheese

Measure 1 tablespoon of olive oil and spread all over the flat bread with the backside of the spoon.
Layer on ingredients in order listed.
Drizzle with wing sauce then top with cheese. 
I only bake this pizza for about 5 minutes at 350 and then I turn on the boiler (low) until the cheese bubbles and turns slightly brown.

 I have included suggested amounts for the ingredients but add or subtract as your taste buds dictate. Also feel free to add any other ingredients you have on hand or simply just love. 

The other food I constantly find myself using is Plain Greek Yogurt.  It does not stay plain long in my house, but that is where it all begins. You can dress it up with nuts and fruit for breakfast or use it as a substitute for mayonnaise, salad dressing, and as a topping or dip for fish/chicken/meat dishes.  I mix in Chalulu hot sauce with greek yogurt for a hot and spicy topping for black beans and tacos.  For roast beef I mix greek yogurt and hot and spicy mustard together as side sauce or for sandwiches. Once a week I make a batch of my take on the famous greek tzatziki sauce.  This is a refreshing and tangy sauce for chicken, fish and veggie dishes or sandwiches and I use it almost every day.

Yogurt Cilantro Sauce
1 cup Plain Yogurt 
2 Tablespoons of honey (optional but I love it)
1 large cucumber peeled and chopped fine (you can de-seed but I don't bother)
Cilantro chopped or cut fine with scissors (I use about 1/4 of a bunch)
1-2 cloves of garlic finely chopped
3 dashes of dill (or more for your taste)
Salt and Pepper to taste (just a dash of salt as this is flavorful without it)
2 Tablespoon of Lime Juice (you can also use lemon if that is what you have on hand-I just prefer lime juice)

Mix all of the ingredients together and refrigerate for up to 7 days.  This tastes great when just made but tastes even better about an hour after the ingredients have had a chance to blend together.

What are your favorite go-to foods or food finds you just can't live without?

4 comments:

  1. Wow! When you go to Charlotte, you are going to LOVE Trader Joes. They have great prices and lots of healthy foods. BTW that looks really yummy!!
    My favorites: spaghetti (with Dad's sauce recipe), tacos, and sweet tea. (I don't think any of those are healthy!) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marian I cannot wait to finally go to Trader Joe's. So many people talk about what an amazing store it is-I am ready! All of your favorites are my favorites too. In fact I thought of you this week when I tried to make my sweet tea a little less sugary by adding red zinger tea to the black tea and cutting the sugar in half. I loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to make your yogurt cilantro sauce, it sounds wonderful! I'm addicted to Cholula and will definitely try it with greek yogurt now too.

    I am excited for you to experience your first Trader Joe's shopping trip! Please pick up some of their dark chocolate peanut butter cups (or the milk chocolate ones if you prefer). You won't be sorry! They also have an amazing Italian truffle cheese there I'd highly recommend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jennifer-Oh please let me know what you think of the Cilantro Yogurt Sauce and tell me if you think it needs more or less of anything. I believe it is very adaptable. I am going to make a Trader Joe's wish list...I also remember a cilantro and jalapeno (is that right) hummus that you and several others raved about...Oh I cannot wait! :)

    ReplyDelete