Sunday, February 6, 2011

Feeling Brave

Perhaps it is procrastination but I would rather think of it as bravery...bravery has brought me to the place where I am moved to start this blog...tonight...when I should be cleaning out closets, packing, painting, cleaning, even nurturing a dream I have of clay and words.  I have dreamed of this blog for several months now and asked myself exactly what I hoped to accomplish with it.  My intent is that this blog will be a vision board, a journal, a place to share, and that somehow my bravery will grow.  That in sharing I will help myself and maybe somehow help encourage someone else. 

My bravery started back in the later summer of 2010 after a weekend at the beach when a dear friend suggested I needed a time out....a break...a sabbatical....a restart.  So I started looking for a retreat-a grown up version of camp basically (but without the polar bear club thankfully).  I looked on-line for over a month and explored retreats offered from meditative retreats at the Deepok Chopra Center to yoga retreats in the mountains of Asheville, NC.  Each retreat I found, and there were about 15, spoke to me in some small way but they did not make my heart sing.  One day as I was reading a favorite blog I stumbled upon Be Present Retreats and after reading and re-reading about it I book marked the site.  Then I began to let this idea simmer.  A day or two later I e-mailed Liz, the organizer and brain child of the retreat and asked her several questions.  I remember telling her that I was not an artist, I was not a photographer, I was not a writer, I was not a yogi, and that I was not practicing meditation but that I felt so drawn to her retreat.  She said come.  In hindsight I can now say I am all of those and so much more.  Don't get me wrong, I am not a master at any of those roles, but I can honestly say that I practice each role and enjoy the practice. I was still so afraid.  Afraid of everything that I was not and everything that the other women would be.  I was lucky to be among 12 bright, talented, loving, creative, sharing, caring and light bearing women for 4 amazing days.  That space I was given along with the love and encouragement from my husband, my mother, and my two best friends has brought me to this place...of bravery.

I look forward to where this will lead and of the journey ahead. 

New Beginings

4 comments:

  1. I popped over here after reading your kind comments on my blog, the teacup incident. Thank you for your words. I also think it would be great to refocus my goals at a retreat but for now the GYPO group is my 'winter retreat'. Thanks for sharing your process here and the link to the blog guidebook!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, my dear. You are full of so much love and light. I cannot think of you without remembering your kindness and sweetness and bravery. I look forward to where this will lead too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Elizabeth~I am so thankful to have you visit my blog and offer your kind and thoughtful words. It is brave and truthful souls like yours that forged a path for me here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will always hold a quiet sense of awe and reverence for that experience. My heart is so grateful to have met you.

    ReplyDelete