Monday, February 7, 2011

Forsythia Blooms

Today started with sunshine spreading across the bed with Alan and Miss Butters tucked in all around me.  A bird tweeted and I opened my eyes thinking it sounded like spring, not like the winter song of a cardinal or a  junco.

After coffee for me and breakfast for Binky we headed out for a walk and spotted two tiny forsythia blooms before we left the yard.  Those little yellow cups of life took my breath away.  I thought of spring and of snow that often accompanies their first burst of blooms.  Later on down the road we spotted daffodils forcing themselves up into the light.  Spring is on the way in small delightful signs.

Forsythia Bloom
Today was a day of quiet creeping and sorting and purging.  Quiet as Alan is very busy with work and school and quiet because sometimes I would rather hear the hum of the house than the stereo.  Just the pitter-patter of life as my background music.  A car turning around in the curve out front, Butters nails tapping across the hard word floors, Alan's voice drifting up the stairs, the rush of water from the washing machine, the ring of the phone....  I started on the front room, the catch all room where things get lost and found again.  One closet and one wardrobe have been sorted, bags have been filled and recorded, boxes have been labeled, memories have flashed across the back of my eyes and a few tears were shed.

Tonight I find myself wearing a shirt of my Granddaddy's that was found today; soft flannel in shades of green, blue, and honey and thinking of this week's assignment for Get Your Paint On. The instructors recorded some very good pointers that have already come in handy such as starting Wet and Loose.  Basically the paint should be watered down (Wet) and the idea is to get the basic shape done with the brush (Loose) and not to be hung up on the details yet. 

This week's assignment is to interpret elements of one of your favorite artists and apply that in your own work.  I sketched several ideas but scrapped all of that and just painted.  I was not feeling too brave tonight and painted the new piece on the acrylic paper again.  I took the covereing off of one of the canvases and stared at it a while but put it away in the end.  I am excited about this assigment and allowing the process to unfold throughout the week. 

First Wash of Paint
A little more detail

2 comments:

  1. Love the waviness and color variation in the branches. Can't wait to see what comes next!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much. I wanted to work on it last night but was tired and cold. Tonight I will come into the office with a big mug of hot tea first.

    ReplyDelete