Sunday, March 13, 2011

Weekly Delights

Ahhhh daylight savings time and also the morning Butters decides she needs to get me up at what was 6:30 AM before this Spring Forward business.  That is how I felt when I first got out of bed.  Then I enjoyed the absence of noise, the pinkish sky, coffee with cream and time with my journal, and knowing I had time to get in this post before the day gets ahead of me.

This week my biggest delight was spending time with Alan while he had a break from school.  The beginning of the week was filled with movie nights, the middle with to do lists made and a few items checked off, and the end with house hunting online in preparation for tours next week. There were also many other bits and lovely pieces in between my days though.

  • My heart swelled while cooking dinner and overhearing snippets of conversation between my Mother and Alan talking about my maternal Grandmother.

1906-1998
 They were upstairs and I was on the main floor getting dinner ready.  I let gentle happy tears flow down my cheek as I heard Mother compare my heart to my Grandmother's and I giggled as they laughed about how I dirty up every spoon, bowl, plate, utensil, etc. in the kitchen while cooking just like she did.

  • I made this for dinner one night. 
Spanish Roast Chicken (Source)

The gremalada was yummy and the chorizo was sweet and smoky with just a hint of heat.  Overall I would do this recipe again but not for a while.  It was the chicken I bought though and not the recipe.  I bought a chicken labeled as an oven roaster and it had a strong flavor all of its own (maybe gamey I don't know).

  • My oldest niece had an art showing nearby and I got to spend some much needed time with my older sister and nephew riding to and from the showing as well as catching dinner at a timeless little pizza restaurant.  My niece is very talented and I was honored to be at her event.
Holly's Art Work

  • A post from Mighty Girl made me stop and think for a bit about how I am living my life.  Her post essentially boiled down to " Is this part of who I want to be, or who everyone else expects me to be?"  I made up my own question after reading this post: "By whose rules am I living my life and why?" 

  • This quote from Joseph Cambell also reached out to me this week and had a similar message.     We're so engaged in doing things to achieve purposes of outer value that we forget that the inner value, the rapture that is associated with being alive, is what it's all about.

  • I also enjoyed listening to Adele this week and her soulful sound.  She seemed to be everwhere I turned this week.  I like how Rolling in the deep builds up and feels like a soundtrack song.  Ah, soundtracks...that is for another post all by itself. 



  • If you have not heard of Brain Pickings yet you really must got check them out! As their website clearly states, "Brain Pickings is about curating interestingness — picking culture’s collective brain for tidbits of stuff that inspires, revolutionizes, or simply makes us think. It’s about innovation and authenticity and all those other things that have become fluff phrases but don’t have to be."I just got my weekly newsletter delivered to my inbox this morning.  You can also sign up to get a weekly newsletter summary of their weekly media mining.  Great stuff here!

The coffee pot is now empty and the day is getting ahead of me so it is time to be off and running with the doors flung open to the spring air and bird song.

Wishing you a magical Sunday full of sparkles and sunshine.

5 comments:

  1. That is a good question to think about (the one from Mighty Girl). I will have to remember it.

    I'm glad you enjoyed a week with Alan!

    The roast chicken looks delicious. I feel like I made gremolata once. Oh! I did! A friend came to visit and made it and it was so easy and good that I made it again after she left. I had forgotten about that. Need to add it to my to-make list.

    Wishing you a magical week. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Elizabeth! Hope the rain has let-up a bit so you can get out and take some pictures! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too am listening to Adele lately. Oh, if I could only sing like that!

    Holly's art is fabulous! I would love that exhibit.

    I'll check out brain pickings. :)

    xoxo

    jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! That picture of your yummy dinner looks professional, the food and the picture itself. So pretty and looks delicious!
    I'm glad you were about to go to Holly's exhibit. I'm jealous. :)
    Now off to check out Brain Pickings. (That is right in line with my zombie games that I have been addicted to lately.) :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marian, I did not take that picture...my dinner looked similar but not quite so pulled together. If you click on the caption where it says source, it will link you to the recipe and that is where I got the lovely photo. :) I hear you have company coming Friday...Yippy!

    ReplyDelete