Friday, March 18, 2011

Week 5~Get Your Paint On

Week 5 of Get Your Paint On took me into weeks 6 and 7 for completion.  I think this one took me the longest to paint because I honestly had no idea what on earth I wanted to paint, because I wanted to try to incorporate pretty papers into the piece (which I had never done), and this piece seemed to require a lot of time to sit and steep.  The fact that this took me 3 weeks to paint does not make this a staggering work of genius either-I realize that.  This piece is rather simple in fact.  It did however allow me to play and experiment and really listen to what I thought should come out of this and that for me was simply wonderful.

Here is the evolution of the piece from painting that first coat of petal pink, to thinking I would cut out a design that I would incorporate into the piece (it inspired swirls) that led me to cut out a simple heart instead, to a sketch in my idea book of a heart and grids and words, and from landscape to portrait and laying more paper on top of it all.  Even the original words that came to me originally when I sketched out the idea grew into new lines of their own. 


I don't know that this painting is really done yet, but what I remembered from this process is that neither am I.  I truly believe that we are all works in progress and that everyday we have the opportunity to grow, stretch, and move in new ways...ways that change us...ways that give us those ahhhhh ha moments.  Sometimes I forget this and am thankful for the reminder this painting gave me.

Get Your Paint On meant so much to me and was just what I needed.  I cannot thank Mati and Lisa and all of the my lovely class mates enough for sharing your talent, inspiration, kind words, ideas, skills, and camaraderie with this beginning painter. I cannot wait to meet up with everyone again in the fall for part 2!!

While our class is over, I am inspired to continue painting and hope to share more with you in the future.  I have an idea for two paintings that I want to paint for my bedroom that I plan to begin within the week.

4 comments:

  1. That's so great that doing this taught you so much; I love to see the evolution of a painting too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful! You post such great processes. I can never remember to stop in the middle and photograph things :) The class was great and I also look forward to part 2.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sharon & Tara,
    Thanks for stopping by. :) I keep my camera close by these days to capture a little bit of everything. I refer back to the photos often when I am painting because they show me details I somehow miss when looking at the painting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have really loved seeing your projects for this class and the different stages of each painting. I also really like how you incorporate your writing into your paintings.

    ~the answers I have sought come seeking me ~ so beautiful!

    jennifer

    ReplyDelete