Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Day Ten: Favorite Things-Coconut

Mmmmmmm...COCONUT...I love the way it smells and the way it tastes.

I have loved coconut since I was a little girl and my grandmother would share with me her stash of Brach's Neapolitan Coconut candies, which I just found out have been discontinued. 

One of my favorite perfumes, Ooh-La Hula, that had the perfect mixture of coconut, jasmine and neroli was also discontinued.

Evidently not everyone shares the same love for coconut that I do. 

Here is how I enjoy Coconut products:
  • Coconut milk (I usually buy canned but have also made it from whole coconuts and frozen it)
    •  In my daily Coconut Milk-Blueberry-Banana-Almond Butter Smoothie 
    •  In place of water when cooking rice for a little sweetness and added layer of flavor when adding rice to stir fry.
  • Coconut Oil (Unrefined)
    • As the oil of choice for roasted sweet potatoes
    • Melted and rubbed over a whole chicken for roasting
    • As a moisturizer for skin
    • In my bath fizzies
  • Shredded Coconut (Unsweetened)
    • Mixed with sliced bananas, thawed berries, almond butter, and raw cacao
    • Over greek yogurt with cinnamon and walnuts

Coconut Milk-Blueberry-Banana-Almond Butter Smoothie
 
8-10 Ounces of Coconut Milk
8-10 Ounces Frozen Blueberries
1 Whole Banana
1 Heaping Tablespoon of Almond Butter
1 Tablespoon Ground Flax Seed
1 Tablespoon Wheat Germ
1 Tablespoon Chia Seeds (Optional-When I add these I soak them in coconut milk for 15 minutes)

Add all ingredients to your blender and mix until smooth and creamy.  Enjoy!

Warning...the blueberries may leave little specks in between your teeth from the shredded skins and seeds.  Check your teeth before leaving the house or you may get some funny looks. 




2 comments:

  1. You could go crazy in the 25 lbs. of coconut oil I buy for the soaps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would go crazy in it Vila...I love coconut almost as much as cilantro...nah...they are tied...OOOOH..Cilantro-Cocnut soap...hmmmm.lol

    ReplyDelete