Thursday, October 11, 2012

Day Eleven: Favorite Things-Questions

My unfinished mixed media painting answering the question, What Brings You Light?
I like questions, more so when I am the one asking them than when the tables are turned.  It almost always makes me feel like a spotlight is shining on me and unless I really feel comfortable with the person asking the question, it feels too much like a test and pressure and my mind goes blank or blurts out goofy answers.  But when I am the one asking the question of myself, well that feels different and illuminating and the question becomes a path paved with my own truth. 

A particular question that resonates with me is What Gets You Out of Bed in The Morning?  I think that while the core of the answer may stay the same, it can also change as your life changes. When I first read this question I wrote it on a sticky note and posted it directly on my computer so I would be forced to answer it every morning before I stumbled blindly into my day.  I never could come up with a good one-liner answer either.  I loved this question so much because I had the hardest time wrapping my head around an answer that was true for me.  My answer was a run on sentence of sorts.  And as I was doing a lot of self-work at the time this question then became What Do You Want to Accomplish Today? One particularly blue day when I felt lost and unanchored the question  evolved to What Brings You Light? 

For days and even weeks every time I came across a word or phrase that described what brought me light I cut it out and placed it on a large square black foam board.  I loved watching the words accumulate and build into their own mosaic story.  And this question is a re-set button of sorts for me, a reminder to seek the light and the things that bring me light when I feel overwhelmed or that darkness is encroaching.  I still have not finished this piece either  I assembled all the words in the middle of a swirly sunshine and I think that each swirly ray will eventually be covered in answers to this question as well.

What Brings You Light?

Here are a few links to other questions that I have also found helpful:

http://personalexcellence.co/blog/101-questions-to-ask-yourself/

http://www.oprah.com/spirit/Martha-Becks-20-Questions-That-Could-Change-Your-Life_1/1

No comments:

Post a Comment