Sunday, October 7, 2012

Day Seven-Favorite Things-Cooking

Chicken Vegetable Soup Ready for the Freezer
I really enjoy cooking; creating a meal, knowing what is in my food, feeding others, and trying new recipes.  It hasn't always been this way and for (too) many years we ate out and existed on fast food and frozen stuff.  I cooked every other weekend or so or when we had company but there was nothing regular about it.  Of course our schedules were  not regular for a long time either with Alan in night classes and me working 10+ hour days five days a week. 

So when I took a break from working for a paycheck I decided cooking would help us be healthier and save money.  After scouring a bunch of blogs I discovered the best thing to do was to develop a meal plan for every night (some even have lunch and dinner plans) and to build your grocery list from there.  It did not take me long to get the hang of this and to really appreciate the plan.  Almost two years later I still make a plan and often feel lost and make not so good choices when I don't have one ready.  I just check out other meal planning blogs and recipes and a few sites and incorporate other tried and true favorites and make a list of 5-7 meals.  Then each morning I think about what we are going to have based on how long it takes to make a recipe and what we have going on that week.

Here are a few of my favorite sites for meal plans and recipes:

  • She has great meal plans, recipe and cook book reviews and lovely photos.
  • They have simple and seasonal recipes as well as quite a few gluten free ones too.
  • This site also has simple and seasonal recipes as well as meal plans.
  • This is a great site for Paleo recipes which also happen to be gluten free.
  • I just discovered this site recently and she shares her recipes and has meal plans too.
 
Here is a typical meal plan for our house for the week with links for a few  of the recipes (which will link up with other sites I use):


Stir-Fry with Rice, Quinoa, or Cauliflower Rice




Salmon Filet's with Roasted Sweet Potatoes and Spicy Cilantro Slaw



Roast Chicken, Green beans, Roasted Potatoes



Mushroom and Tomato Sauce over Spaghetti Squash



Meat Loaf, Cauliflower Rice, Slaw



Tacos, Green Rice, Spicy Black Beans






How do you plan your meals for the week?  Please feel free to share your own favorite recipes, ideas, or links to meal planning ideas.

2 comments:

  1. Ah...muy delicioso. I can not wait to try some of these recipes. So glad that you are cooking again and letting your creative juices flow (no pun intended) in the kitchen. I have enjoyed the little moments we have cooked together over the years...first time I made stir fry was in your Mother's kitchen. I still love making the pico de gallo we threw together that night...you showed me how important cilantro is in so many dishes. I look forward to many more years of sharing recipes together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And we cannot forget the spinach dip that we perfected...you were the one who knew to add lemon! Your cooking and recipes have long inspired me Vila, especially that you can cook a different meal every night for a month...I admit I am not that diverse. And you were the one who got me to eat salmon with that delicioso dish you maid when you lived in Miami. Yes...many more years and some day together again in the kitchen with cups of tea and giggles.

    ReplyDelete