Sunday, May 1, 2011

Seahorse Pair


Seahorse Pair

I have been working on these paintings off an on now since late March and they are at last complete (I think).  Now I just need to find frames for them.  I painted the sides of the canvas blue, gold and silver to "create" a semblance of a frame but the more I look at these the more I want to frame them.  I picked up a gloss varnish for these and some other paintings several weeks ago from Michael's.  I do love a glossy finish on some things but I think it made the seahorses too shiny and also difficult to photograph as the paintings reflect the light heavily now. I may come to love the shine, but for now I am still trying to get used to it. I also incorporated some stenciled leaves into this piece (my first attempt at stenciling with painting) and while it was not the exact effect I was hoping for (I think my choice in paint color may have had more to do with it than anything else) I was happy overall with the experience. 

Female Seahorse
 While doing research prior to painting the seahorses I learned that the male seahorse is the one that actually carries the baby and that seahorses mate for life. I tried to capture the delicacy of these creatures while also giving them the majesty and strength they are due.  Seahorses are said to be the truest barometer of the health of our Ocean's.
Male Seahorse

8 comments:

  1. Gorgeous! Anything with a seahorse catches my eye - my parents' home is called Seahorses and I have a seahorse tattoo on my back - I love them! These are so delicate - wonderful detailing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tara~ Thank you!! I too am in love with seahorses. I would love to see a photo of your tattoo if you ever care to share it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your art makes me so happy! I always adore your choice of colors and subject matter and the seahorses are fantastic. Side note: I'm leaving this comment on airplane wi-fi somewhere between NY and CA. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jennifer~Thank you dear friend. Wow, I got an in-flight message...how very cool. Hope you are home safe and sound now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can just picture these paired together on the wall. What a beautiful sight to see every day, especially knowing that you created it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Elizabeth~ Thank you for popping in. :) Wish we could sit and talk for hours in real life, but your presence here is such a treat as well. I am still hunting for frames. Picked up two yesterday that did not work.

    ReplyDelete