Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Changing Spaces

Livingroom-view from kitchen
Yesterday I had the most fun changing around our living room.  I had the house to myself and moved every piece of furniture, plant, and picture out of the room.  I love starting with a blank canvas so to speak and then adding back pieces here and there and turning them around to see how they look. 

My first roommate in college never knew what she may come how to because of my love of rearranging. She often spent nights away with her boyfriend and said she always looked forward to seeing what I changed while she was gone. Then it was really how I cleaned.  I moved furniture and cleaned all at the same time.  It was also a form of procrastination from studying and I once sliced open my finger with a razor blade while scraping the wax off of the floor after one of my room overhauls.  Of course this was in the middle of final exams and I had to go to the emergency room to boot.

Livingroom-reading nook
When I got my first apartment after college I rearranged with frenzy as well, whether it was moving the patio table and plants or rearranging art work and accessories for an updated look. It was a small one bedroom apartment with bits and pieces of handed down furniture but it was all mine.

The past five years or so I have not rearranged at all.  Some of that has to do with being married.  I have to have an empty house with no one around to get into the zen moment I require to rearrange.  Someone popping their head into the door mid process and making comments does not do well for me, unless of course I am helping with someone elses space. The few times in the past that Alan helped me he became frustrated because I may move something one time or ten times before I get it just right. 

All this to say that yesterday was a treat in deed.  I didn't buy a single thing but I feel like I have a brand new room.   I still have a few revisions to make but overall I am happy with the feel of the room.
Livingroom-view from the front door

5 comments:

  1. It looks good!! I'll be in town next week to hang out with Trey. I'd love to see all your hard work in person. We should get together! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My sister Amy and I both love rearranging. Only I think she does it much more often. She is always calling me and saying, "I rearranged the living room again!" I can't get that motivated to move the furniture because I have to take everything out of the chest-like table in order to move it. But it is so fun how a few changes can make everything feel new again.

    I love seeing pictures of your space!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marian~I cannot wait to see you!
    Jennifer~Thank you. :)
    Elizabeth~ It is so much fun! I have these nifty little plastic slides you can put underneath furniture to move it on the carpet and I just use old towles and washcloths under the legs to slide it across the hardwoods-that way you don't have to remove anything!

    ReplyDelete