Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Here Comes the Sun


My Desk

Today is cloudy and drizzly, one of those days where it could be morning, noon or early evening because it is just grey.  It is also green though and misty and delightful in a spring into summer kind of way. It is one of those days where I seem to putter here and there doing little bits of this and that.
 
After taking Butters out into the morning rain I decided to take out most of the house plants and put them on the front walk for a fresh soak and misting. After coming back inside I made a pot of strong coffee and folded one load of laundry, dried another, and stripped the bed linens to be washed.  Then I thought today would be a great day for banana oatmeal, but decided to do some stretching first.  Running and walking on the treadmill pounds out the grumpies but it also seems to leave my joints in knots.  A good stretch of my entire body was definitely needed. I stretched and did some gentle yoga to work out the kinks. It felt good to move my body in this way and be aware of its strengths and limitations and loosen it up a little more with each exhalation.

After stretching I did treat myself to banana oatmeal.  I make the oatmeal first and then add sliced bananas and cook it a few minutes longer.  The heat seems to bring out the sweetness in the bananas.  I added a dash of cinnamon and topped it with milk and walnuts.  I actually think I prefer pecans but we were out of those.
 
While I ate my oatmeal I caught up on e-mail and blog land and read a bit from The Book of Awakening. In the back of my mind while reading I kept thinking to myself "you need to do something creative today".  The response I got back was "but it is cloudy today and I don't create on cloudy days".  The more I thought of this the more I remembered that if I always waited for the perfect circumstances I would never get anything done.  And then I thought "well then why not paint your own sunshine".  So that is the plan for a new painting.  I really would like to try an intuitive painting approach and maybe I can dabble with that today as well.  I really feel like I have to know what I plan to paint before I sit down and get to work.  I am inspired by several artists whose blogs I frequent that paint intuitively.  They approach the canvas with the thought that "I am going to paint and see what appears" and just amazing things happen and show up on their canvas.  It is quite beautiful.  Anywho, today I am going to create some sunshine and perhaps I will start another canvas where I just play and see what happens.


I hope you are having a wonderful day today and creating some sunshine of your own.

4 comments:

  1. Yay! Get that sun a shining on canvas and maybe we'll get some this way...for a long time i thought that i had to have the right room, paints, circumstances....then I realized that I was procrastinating in the worst way! once you start to create, everything else falls away! I hope you have an awesome day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a cheery looking desk and your banana oatmeal sounds delicious! it's always a pleasure to get to see where your painting takes you, in this case via the sunshine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Jennifer...I am having fun with the sunshine..still playing with it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love oatmeal and love your desk. So well put. On some of these dreary days you really don't know what time of day it is.
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete