Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Relief Painting

I found an idea while browsing on Pinterest and recreated it in my own style and thought I would share the results here.  With the exception of a few errors on my part, I was pleased with the end result. 

Here is the inspiration:  Canvas covered in one solid color and then hand painted with 3D paint in white and that same canvas color applied again to give it a rustic appearance.  I truly love this artists flowers and greenery and the rusty color too. 


SOURCE:  http://ilovetocreateblog.blogspot.com/2012/06/rusty-relief-painting.html

 
Here is my version:  A swirly vine using different colors, design, and a slightly different technique to create a coppery-like patina appearance.

Completed relief paintings


I started with four canvases and painted them a sea-green color and then used bubble wrap for slight distressing.
Beginning layer of paint

While the canvases were drying I drew my swirly vine on tracing paper so I could copy the exact design onto all four canvases.
Swirly Vine design

After the canvases were dry I penciled in the swirly design directly onto each canvas.

When I went to the craft store I did not pay close attention to the color of the 3D paint and accidentally purchased 3 clear glitter paints and one white paint.  I did not notice my error until after I traced my pencil drawing with the clear glittery paint that went on white and all but disappeared when it dried. Scraping it all of was not a pleasant process at all but I did and thankfully the one small bottle of white paint covered all four canvases.

After the 3D paint dried I lightly sponged on a purplish-brown color over the sea-green and then wiped away excess from the raised swirly design using a paper towel.

After the brown paint was dry I covered all four canvases with varnish for preservation and shine.



Close-up showing raised lines and color variation
 
I would love it if you would like to share any projects you have worked on recently or are hoping to pursue in the future. 

No comments:

Post a Comment