Monday, April 18, 2011

Give me Some Sugar


Spring 2011
 The hummingbird that I spotted last week found the feeder and is now on the second batch of sugar water.  I think she may have company too because it sounded like dive bombers flying by when I was making my yogurt.  They have their sugar water and I am having greek yogurt with chopped pecans and honey drizzled on top.  We both needed some sugar this morning.  The Tom Petty song Honey Bee is also stuck in my head and I have caught myself hummming and singing this song for days now. 

In case you have hummingbird's and need a sugar water recipe, here you go. It is super simple. 

Hummingbird Water
4 parts water
1 part sugar
Bring to a gentle boil
Remove from heat
Cool
Store in refrigerator (lasts for 1-2 weeks)
Be sure to keep the feeder clean and replenished with fresh sugar water about every 3-4 days.

In the beginning of the season I make small batches and in the summer larger ones.  I also sometimes give them more sugar and they seem to love it.  At first it was by accident because I kept thinking it was 1 part sugar, 3 parts water, but then when I saw how much they loved the strong stuff I kept making it that way.  I tried Sugar in the Raw one time before and they would not touch it.  I guess they like the refined white stuff.

Now I am off to mow the lawn before we get more rain. Everything is so green and lush outside right now from all of the rain and warmer weather.  I love the surprise growth that takes place over night and how the world feels so new right now.

Hope you enjoy your Monday and your week.  Peace Out!

4 comments:

  1. I am heading out to add more sugar to our feeder right this minute...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the info! I'll be looking for my hummingbird feeders in the garage this week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had forgotten about that song. *wanders off humming*

    My neighbor had a hummingbird feeder and I loved watching them dive in for their sugar. He moved away though; I might need my own feeder this year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jennifer~I bet your little birds are happy you did. :)
    Marian~Hope you find it. :) I only have one feeder as I have never been able to get them to drink from more than one no matter how many birds we have.
    Elizabeth~I would highly encourage you to get a feeder, they are so much fun to watch. Atlas might enjoy it too. :)

    ReplyDelete