Wednesday, April 20, 2011

"Better, Stronger, Faster"

Yesterday we had 10 yards of mulch delivered and dropped in the backyard.  This  is equal to approximately 5 pick-up truck loads full.  Today I began pitching the mulch into wheel barrow loads and dumping it all along the tree and shrubbery lines.  My arms have not had this type of work out for some time now and after my treadmill run/walk on Monday and Tuesday and the mulch today, I am feeling muscles I have not felt in a while.  As I was finishing my shower tonight the phrase “we can rebuild her” came to mind.  It feels like I am being rebuilt and this makes me smile (and hurt too).  I smile because I loved the Bionic Woman and the Six Million Dollar Man as a child which is where this phrase came from, and because literally I being rebuilt, fiber by fiber, and gaining strength in body and spirit.  Of course I don’t feel like this every day.  Someday’s I don’t feel human much less super human but I am trying to celebrate the days in between and make peace on the subhuman days too. 

Thinking of the Bionic Woman makes me also think of Wonder Woman.  These are my favorite two super heroes.  I think we need super hero’s no matter what our age.  Super heroes allow the imagination to run wild and play in the land of what if’s.  They allow us to try on a persona and imagine how we would use those superpowers. 

I plan to use my bionic arm and super stamina again tomorrow to continue pitching and spreading this mulch. 
What super powers are you using this week and who are your favorite super heroes?

By the way "Better, Stronger, Faster" is one of the catch phrases used to describe the Bionic Woman.     

4 comments:

  1. Wow! That's a ton of hard work! I hope you can move when you wake up in the morning! :) The last time I spread mulch, I paid for it for at least 2 days afterwards. I bet everything looks beautiful at your house! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marian~My first thought this morning was of the Tin Man (and that my joints need some oil) because I felt crickety getting out of bed but not as bad as I thought.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stephanie - the Bionic Woman and Wonder Woman were my favorites too! I also really loved Jaime Sommer's german shepard, Max. :)

    I am always looking for the superhuman strength and bravery it takes just to be who I am.

    Hope you can put those bionic arms down for a little while and have a rest, what a huge project you've been working on!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jennifer~ Yes it does take superhuman strength and bravery just to show up in our own skin and say "here I am". Cheers to that!

    The pile is getting much smaller, rain is in the forecast for this evening and all day tomorrow so I do see some down time coming. Thankfully I love working outdoors and the gratification that comes at the end of the day when you can see and feel the progress.

    ReplyDelete