Thursday, June 16, 2011

Word Whispers

This morning these words were whispering in my ear....

I am not the piece of furniture that others see as old and ugly and abhor.
I am not the brokenness in the cane of the chair that needs fixing.
I am not the rug that needs to be cleaned or the reason that it is soiled.
I am not the reason you are out of sorts like a rubber band stretched too far.
I am not even the fresh-picked basil that lends the lively taste to the baked ziti,
(But sometimes I would love to be the cheese)
I am not the illness inside of you any more than I am the medicine that allows you to regain your strength.
I am not the lawn or what the lawn will look like months from now when I am gone.
I am not in charge of every holiday much less the universe.
I am not really the reason that you smile even though I would like to believe it to be true.
I am blue, green, and gold with a patina deepening along my edges.

I hope some part of this resonates with you and you too will recognize what you are not and how deeply your truth resides beyond the superficial.

2 comments:

  1. "I am not in charge of every holiday much less the universe.' YES! (thank you)

    "I am blue, green, and gold with a patina deepening along my edges." Oh, how I love this.

    Your words are so thoughtful and playful and deep. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes I forget these things Jennifer and get so caught up in thinking I am in charge of everything (silliness, huh). :)

    ReplyDelete