Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Wish List

A man should learn to detect and watch that gleam of light which flashes across his mind from within, more than the lustre of the firmament of bards and sages. Yet he dismisses without notice his thought, because it is his. – Ralph Waldo Emerson

I recently subscribed to the #Trust30 30 day writing challenge and one of the writing prompts got me to thinking about the things I must experience in this lifetime, those gleams of light that flash across my mind.  I previously wrote about my wishes here and here but after the writing challenge and recently finding a 20 year old journal of mine with some older wishes I decided to make a new list that I could amend and add to as needed.

I would love to hear about some of things on your own list....I might need to add them to my own.  :)

My Wish List


  1. Be strong and fit.
  2. Have a strong and healthy dialogue in my head; for my interpretation filters to be positive and hear things in a true sense.
  3. Play daily.
  4. Create for several hours every day.
  5. Keep practicing and for my creative work to become a lifelong habit.
  6. Wish bigger, freer, braver wishes.
  7. Walk the Road to Santiago.
  8. See the Northern Lights.
  9. Write and publish a Book.
  10. Travel to Greece and see the ancient ruins.
  11. Learn to play the Violin.
  12. Make a Difference in my Community.
  13. Go on Safari in Africa.
  14. Get a good digital camera with lenses.
  15. Go scuba diving at night to see bio luminescent plankton.
  16. Grow enough vegetables to feed my family.
  17. Grow enough vegetables to open a produce stand.
  18. Grow pumpkins and have a pumpkin farm one fall.
  19. Travel the Nile River by boat.
  20. Hike in the Amazon Forest and make it back out alive.
  21. Hike in a Rain Forest.
  22. See all of the US National Parks.
  23. Take a week-long scuba diving trip from a live-aboard boat.
  24. Hike down into the Grand Canyon and swim in Mooney Falls.
  25. Fall in love with Alan more everyday.
  26. Explore all of the Galapagos Islands.
  27. Walk along the Great Wall of China while holding Alan's hand.
  28. Snorkel with Whale Sharks (maybe in Belize).
  29. Make a quilt.
  30. Swim in the Mediterranean Ocean.
  31. Visit Shanghai.
  32. See the pyramids of Egypt.
  33. Ride a Camel.
  34. Barter at a market in Istanbul.
  35. Live for one year in Paris.
  36. Live by the Ocean for one year.
  37. Hike part of the Appalachian Trail.
  38. Practice Yoga everyday for 30 days.
  39. Practice Meditation everyday for 30 days.
  40. Open an Etsy Store.
  41. Open a Brick and Mortar Store.
  42. Visit Morocco with Alan.
  43. Host a Halloween Party.
  44. Teach something.....
  45. Take another trip with my Mother.
  46. Spend at least 3 days with Vila in a cabin in the woods with lots of books, tea, firewood, and a rambling stream of water out back.
  47. Learn to dance.
  48. Finish re-upholstering my great grandfathers rocking chair.
  49. Create a backyard mosaic walkway with glass, rocks, and shells.
  50. Take a stroll in Central Park, NY with my brother Jeff.
  51. Scuba Dive in the Cayman Islands with Alan.
  52. Scuba Dive in Fiji with Alan.
  53. Scuba Dive from Bali with Alan.
  54. Scuba Dive from Roatan Island with Alan.
  55. Visit New Zealand with Alan.
  56. Learn to Speak Spanish fluently.
  57. Take Graphics Design Classes.
  58. Take more pottery classes.
  59. Cultivate Happiness.
  60. Find a hairstyle that works with my hair type.
  61. Go Snow Skiing.
  62. Take a train trip.
  63. Ride in London's Millennium Eye Ferris Wheel.
  64. See the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco, CA.
  65. Visit New Orleans during Mardi Gras.
  66. Take another road trip through Florida with Kendra.
  67. Snorkel with Sea Turtles in Tobago with Alan.
  68. Learn to Sculpt.
  69. Learn to identify the Stars.
  70. Make Mobiles.
  71. Learn to Knit.
  72. Memorize 5 of my favorite Poems.
  73. Learn more about Medicinal Plants and Herbs.
  74. Make Bath Bombs.
  75. Learn to Distill Essential Oils.
  76. Attend a performance at the Hollywood Bowl.
  77. Have a small roll in a movie.
  78. Publish a book of my own poetry.
  79. Add Travel Writer to my resume.
  80. Become a yoga instructor.
  81. Have financial abundance.
  82. Adopt a child.
  83. Live in a home with an open courtyard in the middle of it, complete with trees, a fountain, and a fire place.
  84. Attend the Kentucky Derby wearing a beautiful floppy black and white striped straw hat and flowing magenta sun dress while drinking mint juleps.
  85. Create with Paper Mache.
  86. Make Art for a Living
  87. Front a Band (after I learn to sing of course-I can jump around with a mic though)
  88. Drive a Formula One Car on a closed track in Europe.
  89. Take a class at the John C. Campbell Folk School with my sister Anna.

9 comments:

  1. I'm surprised at how alike our lists are! Although I would like to front a band, and only make a art for a living!! Great list!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anastasia~ I TOO would love to front a band AND would LOVE to only make art for a living!!!!!! These two wishes go along with wish #6...Thank you for reminding me to WISH BIG! :) X

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love reading other people's lists! So fun to read yours. I read about those bio-luminescent plankton a few years ago - hadn't heard of them before - it sounded so very very cool to experience.

    I would love to come to your pumpkin farm and take pictures! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your list! Maybe I should work on one for myself. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Elizabeth~I grew pumpkins in my flower beds one year and loved it-I had little ones and big ones and a mixture of white and orange. I would be honored to have you photograph them someday when I have a garden of them. :)

    Marian~You should make a list...I keep thinking of things to add to it too...big things and little ones that I would like to experience. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I just thought of something else we've talked about doing before: go to a race at Bowman Gray stadium... :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anna~Thank you for the reminder! I was just telling Alan last weekend when we saw a road sign about exiting for Bowman Grey that he needed to take us to see a race. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. A magnificent list! I love the idea of memorizing poetry ~ it's on my list as well. I think I might start with "A Blessing" by James Wright. xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jennifer~Oh I love this poem-thank you. I have read and re-read it several times today.... "Suddenly I realize
    That if I stepped out of my body I would break
    Into blossom".

    ReplyDelete