Wednesday, June 1, 2011

A Thrill to Rest My Cheek To

The first time I heard Etta James sing At Last I was struck mute and motionless except for a single tear that dropped down my cheek.  I was a teenager shopping in a local store with my Mother.  The store was narrow with high ceiling fans and hardwood floors and somehow these surroundings combined with her velvety voice made it feel all the more romantic to me.  I told my Mother then that if I ever got married, that I would dance to that song at my wedding. 

Nine years ago today my husband and I danced to that song.  I remember that day like a beautiful dream that came true.  The memory day strikes me with tears and gigantic smiles alike.  That day...it was perfect....and I continue to pinch myself even now that I was lucky enough to marry my friend and sweet love....the one that captured my heart when we were children riding bikes and climbing trees...the one that got away but would not let my heart go....yes that one.

3 comments:

  1. Happy Anniversary to you and Your Love! The thought of you both as children riding bikes and climbing trees (and climbing into each others' hearts) is just beautiful. "At Last" is mesmeric and I love that when you heard it for the first time it held the echo of your future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh, happy anniversary! What a gorgeous story. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! Happy Anniversary!! I too love this song!

    ReplyDelete