Friday, December 2, 2011

The Ocean Calling

Tidal Tree

The day was renaissance blue skies and cooler temperatures, bright sunshine and gusts of winds scattered here and there.  During my walk through the cemetery earlier this week the leaves on this tree gave a familiar sound.  There was a rushing in and a letting out that I initially found pleasant but ignored until my brain ran through its memory garden in search of a definition and then found it. It was the rushing in and the letting out of the tide that I heard.

After listening for several minutes I walked on and realized that this city scape that surrounds me has become my sea shore of sorts. On my daily walks my eyes dart back and forth from the sky line to the ground.  The ground holds glittering scraps of treasure that I want to pluck up and place inside my pockets, remnants of what was, wrapped with the promise of what could be.

Fortune 1

Fortune 2
Street Glass
As I write this I also acknowledge that I have not picked up one single thing though because in the city I think of these items as trash (coveted trash) while at the sea shore I think of them as found treasure.  Today I will find a pretty jar and start adding little pieces of my city treasure to it.

I treasure rocks, glass, fortunes, and sea shells (to name a few).  What items do you call treasure and collect?



 

2 comments:

  1. Loving your tidal tree and street glass - and perspective in general here. I will have to keep my eye open for fortunes, I can't remember ever coming across one on the street. I may have mentioned this before, but I do love to collect abandoned grocery lists at the grocery store. There is something about them I find endearing, even more so as technology has advanced and they have become less common. I also have a large glass canister filled with marbles my mom and dad picked up over the years so I always have my eye out for those.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jennifer~ I have kept my own fortunes for years but it was not until we moved here that I began seeing them on the street. I have never found grocery lists like this in the store but now I will keep my eye out for them. I do love finding my own old scratched on lists in a glove compartment or old coat and thinking back on that day.

    ReplyDelete