Tuesday, July 12, 2011

A Recipe

Ever since tasting a wonderful tomato pie several years ago at Mozelle's, a local restaurant, I have been wanting to try to make one of my own.  With tomatoes coming in now and another tomato lover inviting me to the beach, I thought our beach trip would be the perfect opportunity to try out a recipe I found.  I mean tomatoes and cheese in a pie...what could go wrong with that?  Nothing!  It was heavenly. 

There are not any pictures of the pie that we made as I still have not quite got the hang of taking pictures of food that looks good. I did however take a picture of the beautiful tomatoes that were used to create the pie, and the link to the recipe shows a picture that looks just like the one we made.  It is one rich pie and could be served as a hearty appetizer or as a meal with a small salad.   I hope you enjoy it!

PS....We used a frozen store bought crust instead of the homemade one listed and used extra cheddar and monterey jack cheeses in place of the fontina cheese.

Heirloom Tomato Pie With Black Pepper Parmesan Crust
serves 6

for the crust
1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp salt
2 tbsp fresh grated parmesan
2 tsp coarsely ground black pepper
10 tbsp cold unsalted butter, cut into small chunks
1/3 cup ice water

for the filling
5 heirloom tomatoes, sliced, salted and well drained*
½ cup mayonnaise
½ cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
½ cup monterey jack cheese, grated
¼ cup fontina, grated
10-12 basil leaves, chopped
1 bunch of chives, chopped
salt and pepper

*To avoid a case of pie soggy bottom, the tomatoes need to drain on a metal rack for about an hour.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. To make the crust, combine the flour, salt, parmesan and black pepper in a food processor. Pulse a few times to combine. Add the butter, and pulse until the mixture’s largest chunks are about pea sized. With the food processor running, slowly drizzle the ice water through the feed tube until the dough starts to form a single ball. Gather the dough together and place on the center of a piece of plastic wrap. Cover and shape into a small disc. Chill for at least 30 minutes in the fridge. Remove dough from the fridge, and allow to sit on the counter for about 15 minutes. Flour your rolling surface, and gently roll the dough out into a 12-inch circle. Drape the dough over the rolling pin and transfer to a 9-inch pie dish. Trim the edges and pinch into a decorative design. With a fork, poke holes in the bottom of the entire crust. Place a piece of parchment paper into the center of the pie dish with the edges gathered so as to not touch the edges of the crust. Place enough dried beans or pie weights onto the foil to just fill the bottom. Bake the pie crust for 15 minutes, remove paper and pie weights and allow to cool.

To assemble the pie, mix the mayonnaise, cheddar and Monterey Jack cheeses in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Layer the tomato slices, basil and chives to the top of the cooled pie crust. Spread the cheese mixture on top of the tomatoes. Sprinkle the fontina on top, and bake for 30 minutes until the cheese has completely melted. Allow the pie to cool slightly before cutting.

4 comments:

  1. tomato pie? oh my goodness it sounds absolutely delicious! i've been wanting to find a good gluten free pie crust recipe since elizabeth made her pie and this has completely pushed me over the edge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am chuckling at the idea of a soggy bottom pie.

    Darn it all, though. When I bought the crust for the pie, it came in a 2-pack. I just threw the second one out because I decided that it would be good to avoid wheat the month. Now I am wishing I had it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jennifer~It is SOOOOO Yummy!!Can you buy Gluten Free Frozen Pie Crusts? Oh, I hope so....I looked at recipes for a Gluten Free crust for you but did not find any with good ratings...

    Elizabeth~Heee...Hee...Hee..it got me too! It made me think of a combination of the Soggy Bottom Boys (From Oh Brother Where Art Thou) and the song Fat Bottom girls by Queen. NEVER throw away the second crust...just freeze it...then when you find it a year later throw it away. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. good idea, i think i saw some frozen gluten free pie crusts. that would make things simpler and therefore I'd make it sooner. :)

    ReplyDelete