Monday, July 18, 2011

Fireflies at Dusk

The start of the painting in June
I started this painting in early June with the intention of practicing paint drips.  Originally it reminded me of eyes and with the drips I thought of blue eyes crying in the rain.  Last week I decided to move forward with two of my paintings and this one especially.  I thought that perhaps I would paint in blocks of color around the crying eyes.  The blocks became swaths of color here and there that felt like the tide.  There were quiet feelings of solitude swirling in the paint as well as Bon Iver playing on repeat in the background that contributed to the evolution of this painting.  When I stepped away from the painting hours later I saw firefly's at dusk. I also thought of Van Gogh's swirly works of art but did not set out to imitate his style at all when I was painting.

Fireflies at Dusk


Close up


Still not sure if the painting was complete or not, the next day I asked my visiting nephew for his critique.  This was risky business asking a child for their opinion because give it they will.  He said "it's done Aunt Effie", and I let out the air I didn't even realize I was holding and smiled. 

Sam with his own painting of a Rocket Ship

10 comments:

  1. I really really REALLY love your painting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you SO much!! :) I really loved paitning it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It makes me think of how I imagine the deep sea .. full of life and light that we can only imagine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I adore the fluidity and the swirly blue of this piece (and the fireflies too of course!) It is so pretty. I also appreciate that you write about your process when you post photographs of your art. And I have to say I am also a huge fan of Sam's rocket ship. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The painting is awesome and so is Sam!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Elizabeth~I am looking at the painting with new eyes thinking of the deep sea...I love the ocean and the mysteries she holds.

    Jennifer~Thank you...I was in the happiest awe watching Sam paint away at the Rocket Ship. He was so excited when I told him we didn't have to wait a day in between painting the black of space and the white of the stars and the rocket ship by using the hair dryer.

    Brooke~Thank you..Sam is the most amazing little creature and it was such a treat to spend time with him.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, Stephanie! Thanks for the comment on my blog recently. I like this painting very much! I always think about painting with shades of the same color, but I always end up adding other colors in the mix... :( But your turned out beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Joana, I would like to explore using more colors but am currently drawn to blues and greens. When I attempt to leave the comfort of these colors I seem to end up with what looks like mud. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the way this has evolved! It's so happy feeling!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Marian~Thank you-I love that you actually saw it in person as it was evolving. xoxo

    ReplyDelete