Friday, May 27, 2011

Seahorses~Framed

Seahorses framed
I finally finished framing the Seahorses and hung them yesterday afternoon.  I just love walking into the bedroom and seeing them, especially since the wall above our bed had been empty after I painted the walls and decided the last painting no longer fit. 

The framing technique is likely unconventional but thankfully with my husbands engineering mind and talent with a razor blade combined with my ingenuity this came together.  Basically these are standard frames purchased with matting.  The back of the frame was cut out to insert the canvas and then I bought foam board and used double sided mounting tape to secure the foam to the back of the frame and create a lip to hold in the canvas.  I then covered the entire back with brown craft paper using thin double sided tape.  Here are a few pictures.

Back of frame showing foam stabilizers 

Back of frame with paper

Female framed
The verdict is out as to whether or not the paint will go funky (not sure of the proper term) because of being enclosed in glass but I did cut a triangle in the backing paper so the canvas could breath.  I did a lot of research on the internet and there were mixed results as to whether or not an acrylic painting should or can be covered in glass.

Has anyone else framed their acrylic canvas paintings and have tips they want to share?

8 comments:

  1. No- but only because I didn't know how! This helped a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, they turned out great and look fabulous in that spot! I like the joint effort on the framing too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look amazing! And what a genius framing idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all for your comments. :) Here is a video I watched about framing that gave me some ideas as well. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUYMjsv7GYs

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look really lovely. I like how close together the two paintings are.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mary/Ronda~ Thank you both!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. They look fabulous - and like they were made just for that spot!

    ReplyDelete