Monday, May 23, 2011

On Journal Keeping

 
 The above picture captures the books and journals that I am currently reading, re-reading, generally refering to and/or writing in.  I often choose books just for their titles and the  The Elegance of the Hedgehog intrigued me for that very reason.  Choosing books like this is similiar to choosing a wine for the beauty of the bottle which I have also been known to do.  One thing for sure with this method is you never know what you might get.

While reading this book I have come across so many words and lines that I have circled or underlined that had an eloquence to them that I wanted to remember.  While reading last week I came across these words and they reminded me of this post that I had done earlier:

The lines gradually become their their own demiurges and, like some witless yet miraculous participant, I witness the birth on paper of sentences that have eluded my will and appear in spite of me on the sheet, teaching me something that I neither knew nor thought I might want to know.  The painless birth, like an unsolicited proof, gives me untold pleasure, and with neither toil nor certaintiy but the joy of frank astonishment I follow the pen that is guiding and supporting me.
~The Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barbery

I have not kept to journaling as much these past few weeks and this was a nice reminder of what I am missing.

4 comments:

  1. I almost always choose books for their covers and wine for the labels! I read the Elegance of the Hedgehog on the strength of its title too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tara! It is fun to make some decisions like these based on pure whimsy...so glad to know I am not the only one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel the truth of that quote~ thank you for sharing it. I too am swayed by wine labels and book covers/titles. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. what an amazing passage! the words are so rich and delicious. i love it!

    ReplyDelete